Saturday, 8 May 2010

Woden Valley 3

Narrabundah FC  1

0 – 1  Padrotta ‘9
1 – 1  M. Isskick 25′
2 – 1  H. Ugemelon 38′
3 – 1  C. Urseofdagipsy 83′

On another beautiful autumn day in South Canberra, a luckless Narrabundah put in a much improved performance against a well organised and energetic Woden Valley team. After initially taking the lead with some good pressure high up the park, Narrabundah conceded two soft goals before the break before rallying well in the second half, only to be undone by a quick counter attack at the death.

Despite the luxury of a full bench to choose from, several players carrying injuries and others returning from layoffs meant it was a somewhat makeshift Narrabundah side that took to the field.

However, this seemed to have little impact as good pressure from the Daniels (Park and Tadic) up front allowed Padrotta to pinch the ball and slot into an empty net. Woden though came back into the game and with their height were causing problems from set pieces and crosses. Eventually their opener came but in fortuitous circumstances – a cross was comfortably dealt with by the Narrabundah defense and cleared to the side of the 18 box where a Woden player reached the ball. Narrabundah were too slow to go to the ball allowing the Woden player to set himself to swing the ball back in. However, despite the luxury of time, the dud managed to completely slice his cross only to see it sneak in at the near post. Woden had their equaliser.

As the half wore on though Woden continued to push and got a second when once again Narrabundah were too slow to close the ball and a tidy cross was finished neatly from inside the 6 yard box. 2 – 1 down at half time but Narrabundah had shown a sense of urgency that had been lacking from the previous week that gave hope.

Re-energised for the second half, Narrabundah came out fighting and immediately went on the attack. With Adams down the left and Padrotta through the middle causing havoc, the chances were beginning to come but the final ball was lacking. Woden, still dangerous on the counter, also reminded everyone of their potential when Quick was forced to clear off the line from a corner.

Narrabundah continued to press and soon had their best chance as an outstretched Romero just failed to get enough on a far post cross from Padrotta. Narrabundah were now effectively camped in the Woden half, and chances were falling for them, Bedin slicing a shot wide from the edge of the box, Padrotta curling a free kick inches wide from a promising position.

Finally it looked like the chance had arrived. Some neat interplay on the edge of the box had allowed Padrotta in behind with only the keeper to beat. The whole game seemed to slow as Padrotta steadied himself, the keeper came but looked horribly unsure and had assumed the pencil position. Padrotta, supremely confident, shot low and hard, it looked a goal from the moment it left his boot. But suddenly the keeper came to life, in the blink of an eye gangly limbs shooting out in every direction, somehow trapping the ball underneath one of his legs, allowing him to fall on the ball, and the chance was gone. As the Narrabundah players stopped in disbelief, the keeper then quickly kicked the ball long allowing the Woden striker to nip in and effectively seal the result, 3 – 1. The haunting laughter of that long dead gipsy rang out around the ground as the Woden players celebrated.

As the final whistle blew, there was the strange mix of disappointment and satisfaction amongst the Narrabundah players. They had lost and were unlucky not to have gotten something from the match but at the same time, had played a much better game and on this evidence will be a much tougher proposition the next time these teams meet.